When Celebrating Life Cycle Events and/or Remembering a Loved One Jewish tradition teaches that when we are happy, or celebrating with each other, we are to remember to give a donation in gratitude to God for our blessing. Each month in the Bulletin we acknowledge the generous donations of our members who are following this tradition of generosity. Below are listed some opportunities available within the synagogue to meet this need.
To help support Congregation Sha’aray Shalom you may make donations to specific funds that have been established to accomplish specific goals. You may also designate your donation for a particular purpose that you determine. With a requested minimum donation of $18, your contribution is acknowledged in a lovely note card to the person whom you are honoring if you wish.
For Temple Activities
- Religious Life Fund (for purchase and repair of ritual items)
- Social Action Fund (supports acts of tikkun olam)
- Snyder Fund for Adult Jewish Growth (supports adult learning programs)
- Library Fund (books and materials for library)
- Joseph Special Needs Fund (programs and support for members with special needs)
- McCarthy Building Capital Fund (for building expenses, repair and maintenance)
- General Fund Donations (unearmarked assistance for Congregational activities)
For Youth and School
- Carr School Fund (for unbudgeted school programming)
- Koch Youth Group Fund (supports youth education and activities)
- Youth Scholarship Fund (scholarships for youth events, trips and summer camps)
- Sansonetti Israel Scholarship Fund (assistance for participants in Israel programs)
- Karol Confirmation Trip Scholarship Fund (assistance for Confirmation trip participants)
For Clergy work and Deeds
- Rabbi’s Discretionary Fund (enables rabbi to provide assistance as needed)
- Cantor’s Discretionary Fund (for school music and cantorial functions as cantor sees fit)
Fiddler Tzedakah Box
Each month a different charity is earmarked for funds collected in our Sha’aray Shalom tzedakah box. Many people teach their children of the tradition of donating tzedakah before each Shabbat by giving them money to drop in the Fiddler’s box each week.
The new Machzor for the High Holy Days
Would you like to honor or remember someone by donating a prayer book set? It has become our tradition for family members and friends to commemorate special life cycle events and honor the memory of someone special by purchasing a new Prayer Book for the synagogue. Each book will have a special name plate on the inside cover with the honoree’s name or the name of one being remembered and the donor’s name.
Thank you in advance for your generosity.
We are in the process of buying enough Bibles for our congregation to use at services. A donation of a Bible is a lovely way to mark a lifecycle event. Names will be inscribed in each Bible you donate. Donation: $100
When a loved one dies it is Jewish tradition for the remaining loved one to remember them annually at the anniversary of their death (yahrzeit). A Memorial plaque can be placed on the Memorial Board within our sanctuary and help members to keep this tradition as the person’s name is commemorated each year. Donation: $360
Tree of Life
As you enter our building you are greeted by a beautiful wall sculpture of the Tree of Life, a way to honor, and remember those who are dear to us. A leaf with your special message will be engraved with your donation. Donation: $1500
Star of David
The Star of David has graced our lobby since the addition to our building was completed. Your donation will help remember or honor a loved one. Donation: $3000
A Jewish Response to Hunger: Our Board of Trustees has designated our congregation as a synagogue participating in the Mazon program. Families are encouraged to donate three percent of the cost of the food served at celebrations to help meet the needs of the hungry.
Please indicate the fund you want your donation to go to and who and where you want the acknowledgement sent.
Congregation Sha’aray Shalom
Attention: Recording Secretary – Shari Lobe, 1112 Main Street, Hingham, MA 02043.