Herb Koch Temple Youth run events throughout the school year. An informal board works with our professionals and parents to plan events and encourage participation from their classmates.
The goals of HEKTY are:
- To develop a sense of community among 6th, 7th and 8th graders and keep them connected to the temple
- To give students a sense of membership in a high school youth groups is like
- Provide opportunities for social, cultural and religious growth through programming created by their own initiatives
Other informal programs are held throughout the year for children in other age group and grades to encourage and foster social time with children and parents.
In addition to our formal program, we encourage our students to attend the JCC Grossman Day Camp and when they enter 3rd grade, to attend the URJ Eisner and Crane Lake Summer Camps. Many students participate in the NFTY in Israel program at the conclusion of their 10th grade year. The congregation has scholarship monies available to assist families in sending their children to camp, Israel as well as to participate in all youth group events.
Sha’aray Shalom Temple Youth is the high school youth group and is part of NFTY-Northeast (North American Federation of Temple Youth). SHASTY is run by a student board with guidance from the professional staff. The students create, plan and execute all of its programs and activities. The goals of SHASTY are:
- To promote and develop leadership skills
- To create an open environment where teens can explore their Jewish identity through social, cultural, religious and social justice activities
- Create opportunities for connections with teens throughout the greater Boston area
Sisterhood offers a variety of social and educational opportunities for women of all ages and interests in our Congregation. Our main mission is to support the youth of Congregation Sha'aray Shalom through events and fundraising for the Youth Scholarship Fund. We hope all the women of our Congregation will join and enjoy the benefit of belonging to a vibrant, diverse group that offers connection and programs that suit a variety of interests.